Sometimes, especially when standing on a stuffed-to-the-gills A train which came 15 minutes later than it was supposed to, I can't help but fantasize about what it would be like to be a moneyed regency heroine. Beautiful dresses, horse drawn carriages, balls, buckets of tea in pretty cups (in general, I think we should install tea time into our afternoon schedule), handsome, wealthy suitors with delightful British accents...And, then, I always come to the conclusion that I would, in fact, be a rather poor excuse for a regency heroine:

- I can't play the piano. Though I took lessons as a kid, I never had the patience to practice.

- I most certainly cannot sing...woe for the unfortunate 19th century dinner party guests.

- I'm nearly blind without my contacts, and hate wearing glasses in public (which would make it rather difficult to see said handsome suitors).

- I'm a rather unfortunate dancer. Last week, while on vacation, I tried to take a Zumba® class with my mom and sisters (sort of an aerobic/dance class) and I think the instructor may have felt sorry for me.

- Also, I still haven't found a regency romance with the heroine named "Amanda", although I would be delighted if anyone could think of one I've missed!

Oh well, Elizabeth Bennet I am not, but I suppose it's lucky I have plenty of reading material on hand with fabulous, smart, and multi-talented heroines (who always, invariably know how to dance while making witty conversation). In fact, this month I think I shall pick up Elizabeth Boyle's latest HOW I MET MY COUNTESS.

Also, I'm sure we've linked to this before, but you can create yourself as a regency heroine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lydia Smith said:

Since feminism young girls haven't needed to make catching a huband their life's work, and since the advent of television the wife doesn't have to be the home entertainment center. So skills we need to know have shifted. One regency skill we still have is writing romance. In that we are very Austen like. Or is Austen like us?

2:43 PM  

Blogger vp said:

If you're looking for a namesake heroine try:

Suddenly You - Lisa Kleypas
The Perfect Bride - Eileen Putnam
One Wild Night - Stephanie Laurens
Truly Yours - Barbara Metzger
A Lady at Last - Brenda Joyce
The Sandlewood Princess - Loretta Chase

I think all of these feature heroines named Amanda:)

6:54 PM  

Blogger Amanda said:

Yay! Thanks Vicki :)

9:28 AM  

Anonymous Haleema said:

I dont know about regency novels but have you seen Lost In Austen?
It's about a 27 year old woman called AMANDA who one day finds Elizabeth Bennet in her bedroom and then walks through a secret door into Longbourne.
Its AMAZING!

By the way,I have a regency themed blog so feel free to comment on it!
www.regencyprincess.blogspot.com

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home